Secondary Schools – Senior Cycle
Fifth Year and Leaving Cert Classes
Agricultural Science and Biology
Students in the Senior Cycle enjoy a focused educational visit to Cloncannon BioFarm. We offer activities and discussions closely linked to the curriculum of both Agricultural Science and Biology. Topics covered include:
- Cattle breeds and Body Score Conditioning
- Other animals relevant to agriculture and classification into their Phyla
- Animal nutrition and grassland management
- Soil – formation,types, composition, structure, texture,(experiments) CEC, edaphic factors – pH and temperature
- Identification of grassland plants using keys
- Investigation of a grassland habitat using quadrats and line transects
- Investigation of hedgerow invertebrates using tray beating, pooters, pitfall traps and a Tullgren Funnel
- Flower structure, function and Plant Families
- An investigation of a freshwater habitat. Identifying freshwater invertebrates using keys
- Measuring a variety of abiotic factors such as wind speed, humidity, aspect, temperature, light intensity
- Habitat Mapping
- Organic Farming.
- Crop rotation, pests and Phyla.
We can tailor a school visit to suit the needs of your class. Just phone or drop us an email and get in touch.
Cost: €10 per student
Sean O’Farrell, Organic Farmer/Msc Biodiversity and Conservation (TCD.2008)
Phone: 087 9227957
Caroline Hurley, Ecologist